SKSE64, short for “Skyrim Script Extender 64” is a tool that helps gamers apply all the mods in Skyrim, thus allowing them to experience something new.
However, it might happen that the SKSE64 won’t work ideally on your operating system.
Some of the reasons include interruption of Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, or a custom antivirus software.
In any case, if you can’t solve the SKSE64 not working issue on your PC, then it’s time that we help you out.
This guide includes easy and applied fixes to resolve this mod tool problem once and for all.
So, let’s start with discussing it as follows:
- 1 6 Easy Solutions on How to Fix SKSE64 Error?
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 3 Final Takeaways:
6 Easy Solutions on How to Fix SKSE64 Error?
1. Restart Your PC:
First things first, if you face this error on your PC, then simply restart it.
Rebooting your computer will remove any temporary or corrupting data from your PC that might halt the running of the skse64 tool.
Simply reboot it, wait for the operating system to reload and then check whether it’s working fine or not.
Still, facing the same skse64 not launching error? Follow us for the next fix:
2. Granting Windows Firewall Access:
Windows Firewall doesn’t allow access to modding tools most of the time and this is where SKSE special edition will stop working.
To make sure that it opens without any hurdle, you have to grant access to it from Windows Firewall.
So, the steps to follow in this regard go as under:
- Open the Start Menu Tab and go to Settings from there.
- In Settings, click on Update and Security and select the Windows Security option available on left.
- In here, you’ll have to select the Firewall and Network Protection. After you click on it, a new tab will open.
- Simply click on Allow an Application through Firewall and then select the Change Settings option.
- Allow Skyrim app both on the private and public networks and save all the settings.
- While applying these changes, make sure that you also allow access to Steam.
- Wait for a while and then launch the tool again to see whether it’s running fine or not.
If the problem still persists, follow the next solution:
3. Turning off Your Antivirus Software:
Windows Defender or any other third-party antivirus software could also block the skse64 tool from launching.
A good way to avoid this problem is to turn off your antivirus.
If you use Windows Defender, then follow these steps:
- Go to Windows and Security Settings from the Start Menu and choose Virus and Threat Protection option.
- Click on Manage Settings and turn off Real-Time Protection. Save settings and start the game again.
In case you use Avast Antivirus, then follow these steps:
- Click on Avast Icon on Taskbar and go to Avast Shield’s Control from here.
- Simply locate the options to disable the Shield Control. You’ll see different timers, i.e., 10 minutes, one hour, or until you turn it back on.
- Save the settings and run the game again.
For AVG antivirus users:
- Click on AVG Icon and find the Temporarily Disable AVG Protection option.
- Check it and set the time as per your preferences.
- Save settings to make sure that the skse64 tool works smoothly.
Finally, for McAfee users, they should try the following steps:
- Right Click on the McAfee icon on your taskbar tray and select the exit option.
- You’ll see a warning option from McAfee. So, simply ignore and check the confirm option.
- Apply changes and see whether Skyrim could run smoothly with the skse64 modding tool or not.
4. Tweaking Antivirus Software for Some Exceptions:
If turning off the antivirus doesn’t seem to solve the error, then it’s time to make some exceptions for the game.
If you use Windows Defender as your primary antivirus software, then follow these steps:
- Go to Start Menu and type “Windows Defender” in the search box.
- Open Windows Defender and from the left menu select, the “Virus and Threat Protection” option.
- In here, select “Manage Settings” and you’ll see a new tab named “Exclusions”.
- Click on the “+” sign and add the Skyrim folder from your PC’s local storage.
- Save all settings and run the game to see whether the error has gone or not.
For Avast Users, here are the steps to make exceptions for Skyrim Script Extender:
- Open Avast and select Settings from the bottom left corner.
- Browse General Settings and keep scrolling down until you manage to find the Exclusions option here.
- Expand it and you’ll see an option where you can navigate and add global exclusions.
- Click on it and choose Skyrim from the game directory.
- Save settings and run the game again for changes to get applied properly.
For McAfee users;
- Open the software and click on the Manage Security option.
- Click on Virus and Spyware Protection. In there, you have to select the Schedule and Run Scans option accordingly.
- From there, simply select Schedule Scans. A new window will pop up in which you have to find the Add button option under the Excluded Folders option.
- Add Skyrim from the game directory and click on save for the changes to happen.
- Run Skyrim on your PC to see whether the skse64 crash on starting issue has been resolved or not.
5. Keep SKSE64 Updated:
Mind you that the tool won’t launch if you are trying to pair it up with an old version of Skyrim.
Similarly, the old skse64 won’t work with an updated version of the game.
For both the tool and game to work properly, you’ll have to keep them updated to their latest versions.
In case the game has got updated but the tool has no recent update, then you can simply roll back the game to its previous version.
For rolling the game back to its old version, follow these steps:
- Open the web browser you are currently using and navigate to the Steam Database site accordingly.
- Next, type Skyrim in the search box and hit enter button.
- In here, you have to look out for the “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” entry.
- Simply write down the APPID number of the game in the search box.
- Click on the number and a new popup window will open. In here, select the Depot option.
- Next to “Skyrim Special Edition.exe”, you have to write the Section ID number of the updated game.
- After clicking on the serial number, a new window will pop up. Select, Manifests option in that window for further process.
- In the search box, write down the number, which is older than the newest release update. For instance, if an update came 3 days ago, you have to write an older number than 3.
- After you get done with this, go to your Desktop menu and right-click on the Steam Launcher shortcut.
- Click on the Properties and type console in the Target box.
- Don’t leave any space while typing Console. Save the settings and run Steam launcher from that shortcut again.
- Click console and type ‘download-depot’ along with the APP ID number or manifest number that we already got from the browser and press enter.
- From there, navigate to the folder where the older version is downloaded through the Console option.
- Find the exact download and copy it.
- Simply paste it in the game installation folder using Control+C and Control+V commands.
- Now you have again reinstalled the older Skyrim version that will now work with the skse64 modded tool.
- It will probably solve the crashing or not working issue.
However, if you are still unfortunate, then we have one last solution for you:
6. Disabling Defective Mods:
In case the skse64 is not working perfectly on your PC even with all the solutions we have given above, some defective mods may be interfering with it.
So, you have to disable them for the tool to work in its ideal way.
In that aspect, follow these steps:
- Open the game and go to its Menu.
- Click on the Mods and disable the ones that are causing an error.
- Restart the game for the changes to take place effectively.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How to tell if skse is working?
It’s simple. If you don’t face any error while starting Skyrim, then it means that the skse64 tool is working just fine and you don’t need to worry about anything. If it crashes or causes errors, you won’t be able to play the game.
2. How to install skse64?
Download the skse64 tool from your web browser and extract it in the directory you want. From there, you have to copy and paste the files with .exe and .dll extensions into your steam game directory. After you paste them, simply click on skse64 launcher and it will open the game with the latest mods already installed in it.
3. What is skse64?
Short for Skyrim Script Extender, the skse64 is a modded tool used to apply new mods in Skyrim. Gamers often use this mod to experience new missions and updated tweaks to the game. In short, using this tool allows the gamers to enjoy Skyrim from a whole new perspective.
4. How to update Skyrim Script Extender?
Simply visit https://skse.silverlock.org/. In here, you’ll find the latest version of the tool, so download it and install it to enjoy amazing new features in the game.
5. How to download skse64?
You have to visit https://skse.silverlock.org/ yet again to download all necessary files of the skse64 tool. After you download it, extract the archive and copy-paste the relevant files as we have already mentioned above.
Playing Skyrim without its Script Extender tool, i.e., skse64 is simply impossible.
So, if the error happens, you have to make sure that it’s resolved as soon as possible so that you can play the game without any hurdle.
Follow the steps we have mentioned above one by one and see whether they could help remove the skse64 not working error from your PC.
If all the steps fail to help you out, then simply install a legit copy of Windows 10, and reinstall Skyrim from scratch.
We are hopeful that you’d be able to solve this problem with all fixes we have mentioned above.
Free Learning Resources:
Learn How to Download and Install SkSE64 for Skyrim Special Edition:
Learn How to Update Skyrim Special Edition Extender Tool: